The RCMP are reminding residents that the holiday season is an active time and requires extra vigilance to prevent theft
The RCMP are reminding residents that the holiday season is an active time and requires extra vigilance to prevent theft. It is also a time when busy people let their guard down and become more vulnerable to theft. Crime prevention is especially important during the holiday season. Protecting yourself, vehicle and your home from potential crime is the easiest way to ensure a safe and happy holiday season.
Some crime prevention tips from the RCMP for the holiday season:
- Lock up houses, sheds, vehicles and any other property that is easily accessible.
- Never leave running vehicles unlocked. Nearly half of the vehicle thefts in Alberta over the past year have had the keys left inside.
- Take photos and record serial numbers of property.
- Do not leave purses, wallets, cell phones or papers with personal information on them in your vehicle.
- If you see or suspect suspicious activity notify police immediately.
- If you will be away from home for several days, make arrangements for someone to pick up your mail and newspapers.